Gaining Access to the Library
SUNY - Downstate
Medical Research Library of Brooklyn
State University of New York
located at 395 Lenox Road
450 Clarkson Avenue/Box 14
Brooklyn, New York 11203-2098
Library privileges are accorded the following groups of users upon presentation of CURRENT, VALID ID CARDS. Upon request of Public Safety or Library Staff, one additional piece of ID with picture:
- Faculty, staff and students of SUNY-Downstate.
- Faculty, staff and students from other SUNY campuses, including Empire State College with appropriate ID.
- Members of the SUNY - Downstate Alumni Associations (Medicine, Nursing, College of Health Related Professions and Graduate School).
- Members of the Brooklyn Academy of Medicine (Kings County Medical Society).
- Members of the Second District Dental Society.
- Members of the Associated Physicians of Long Island.
- Staff of Kings County Hospital with KCH ID cards. (Reading Privileges Only!)
- Physicians/Residents from hospitals formally affiliated with SUNY-Downstate. (Reading Privileges Only!)
(See list of current formal Affiliates at SUNY-Downstate Security Desk, 395 Lenox Rd.)
- METRO referrals from other libraries (by appointment only).
- DAHSL (Directors of Area Health Sciences Libraries) letter (Faculty with ID ONLY).
- Subscribers to the Medical Research Library of Brooklyn.
- Library Archives/Special Collections patrons (by appointment only with Archivist Jack Termine at 718-270-7460).
Library Privileges are not transferable and restrictions apply to several categories of users. Children, infant through high school age, are not permitted access to the Library. For further information, contact or leave voice mail for the Head of Access Services at 718-270-7404.
A special application must be submitted for limited library access for guests of SUNY-Downstate faculty, staff or students, and for individuals or groups sponsored by SUNY-Downstate faculty, departments or programs. A simple form must be filled out for these categories of patrons. The form can be obtained at the Access Services Desk in the Medical Research Library. Forms should be filled out well in advance of need and must be approved by the Administrator's Office (718-270-7412).
Currently recognized affiliated hospitals are:
- BROOKDALE MEDICAL CENTER
- BROOKLYN CALEDONIAN HOSPITAL
- BROOKLYN JEWISH HOSPITAL (SEE INTERFAITH)
- CONEY ISLAND HOSPITAL
- INTERFAITH MEDICAL CENTER (ST. JOHN'S HOSP. DIV.; BROOKLYN JEWISH DIV.
- KINGS COUNTY HOSPITAL
- LONG ISLAND COLLEGE HOSPITAL
- LONG ISLAND JEWISH MEDICAL CTR.
- LUTHERAN MEDICAL CENTER
- MAIMONIDIES MEDICAL CTR.
- METHODIST HOSPITAL
- QUEENS HOSPITAL MEDICAL CTR.
- STATEN ISLAND UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
- ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL HOSPITAL (SEE INTERFAITH)
- ST. VINCENT'S MEDICAL CTR. (STATEN ISLAND)
- VETERANS ADMINISTRATION HOSPITAL
Please note that occasionally faculty from the hospitals, universities and colleges below may have limited access to the Library, for reading only
, upon presentation of a valid current ID from their institution and a letter of introduction on their institution's stationery.
ALBERT EINSTEIN UNIVERSITY (Gottesman Library)
COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (Long Health Science Library)
CORNELL UNIVERSITY (Cornell Medical Library)
MT. SINAI MEDICAL SCHOOL (Levy Library)
NEW YORK MEDICAL COLLEGE (Medical Sciences Library)
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY (Ehrman Medical Library)
ALBANY MEDICAL COLLEGE (Schaffer Library)
CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE LIBRARY AT ANY TIME!